Cinnamon and Butter? Yes, Please. Oh, yum! Some dear friends of ours introduced us to Carolyn’s Café in Redlands, California. Even though it was nearly lunchtime, I opted for breakfast. The reason? Carolyn’s famous coffee cake. It comes with all the breakfast plates. The delicate, cinnamon-sugar filled, topped with butter cake is very hard to resist. OMGoodness is it ever delicious. Yes, I shared, but it was tempting to eat it all myself. So, because I know most you don’t live near Carolyn’s Café and you’re starting to feel gipped, I did some digging and found a recipe. Warning: This information may be dangerous.
Streusel Topping Ingredients
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon salt (if you use unsalted butter)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar, light or dark
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ cup butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 ¼ cups milk
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ pan, or two 9″ round cake pans.
- Make the topping by whisking together the sugar, salt, flour, and cinnamon. Add the melted butter, stirring till well combined. Set the topping aside.
- Make the filling by mixing together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and cocoa powder. Note that the cocoa powder is used strictly for color, not flavor; leave it out if you like. Set it aside.
- To make the cake: In a large bowl, beat together the butter, salt, sugars, baking powder, and vanilla until well combined and smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream or yogurt and milk till well combined. You don’t need to whisk out all the lumps.
- Add the flour to the butter mixture altern